Trust me, we are all adventurers. The trick to realizing that you’re an adventurer is to figure out how you experience adventure and how you relate to it (Am I sounding too much like a teacher? Raise your hand if you want to speak). So, I’ve put together this little quiz to help you figure out how you best have your adventures. That way, you can have oh-so-much fun thinking about what a little adventurer you are! Sound so fun?! Okay, here we go:
1) On any given weekend you are most likely to be found:
- a) Reading your favorite novel
- b) Going for a bike ride
- c) Working overtime to save up for your round-the-world trip
- d) Same as usual, watching the kids and making dinner
2) You’re at your local art festival and you spot a musician performing. The first thought in your head is:
- a) Hey! That’s just like that one guy in that book I’ve been reading!
- b) Hey, I used to play an instrument. I should get that out again . . .
- c) Oh man, look at that guy go! I have to learn how to do that!
- d) Man, that guy must have a lot of time on his hands. How does anyone have time for something like that?
3) Your favorite daydream is:
- a) I can’t wait for Robin to finally kiss Maid Marian! How much longer till we get to that part?!
- b) Next weekend is going to be so rad, I can’t wait for that picnic we have planned!
- c) When I finally take my round-the-world trip I hope I get to meet the pope! Maybe he’ll trip and fall down in front of me and I’ll save him and he’ll crown me the next king of England! (Sorry, Charles. And William and Kate).
- d) Sleep. . . all I want is sleep.
See, wasn’t that a fun (and easy) quiz?! Tally up your answers – I kept it short cuz math is hard, I know. And here we go!
If you have mostly A’s: You live out the adventures you hear about in movies and books and the world around you. Adventures, to you, are everywhere and you see them wherever you go. The fun part about this is that other people’s adventures get your heart pumping just as much as if you were doing them yourself. You borrow all the greatest parts of others’ lives and love them like they are your own. We’ll call you a Dreamventurer – someone who daydreams all their best adventures.
If you had mostly B’s: You sprinkle your life with mini-adventures. Even the smallest break from the routine counts as an adventure in your eyes. A weekend warrior in the truest sense of the word. You take time to plan little trips and special outings. You can have as much fun scouring an antique shop as most people would have at an amusement park (not that you’d say no to the amusement park – bring it on!). We’ll call you a Sprinkler, constantly putting brightly-colored spots of shininess in your ho-hum days.
If you had mostly C’s: ADVENTURE to you comes in all caps, not just a capital A. You do it up right, saving and planning and waiting for your grand scheme. While you’re waiting for the day you can finally put your grand plan into action, you daydream about how fun it will be, plotting out all the possibilities, no matter how outlandish they may seem (I mean, come on, the pope? Really?). You’re an Epic Adventurer, always living life on the big scale, hopping from one giant adventure to the next.
If you had mostly D’s: You probably don’t think you’re adventurer. You probably think you’re a normal mom (or dad) just trying to make it through the day without locking your kids in the bathroom so you can run off to that rock concert you want to go to. But you’re wrong! You are an adventurer! Don’t you see?! You’re right in the middle of it! The Hero always has a rough time and thinks his grand adventure has not turned out at all like he’s wanted it to. Remember Frodo and the ring? Remember that part when he tells Gandalf he wished the ring had never come to him? That’s because all the best adventures, the best stories, pile on the conflict before it can reach its resolution. It’s what makes us care about the character! It’s what makes the character who they are! So never fear, your adventure is happening now and if you’re feeling like there’s no light at the end of the tunnel, take heart! According to Hollywood, the lowest point of the story comes about 2/3 of the way through. So you’re almost there! (Life is just like Hollywood, right?! ) You are a Hero Adventurer, living your own adventure right now.
What kind of adventurer are you?! Leave me a comment below and let me know! (Trust me, it will greatly add to my own daily adventures to hear back from each of you.) Happy adventuring!